Tuesday, December 20, 2005

 

Favorite Albums of 2005 (10-14)

14. Thrice - Vhessiu
I have to admit that I miss the metal riffs of Thrice's first two albums. I also didn't like their last album, because I think they were still caught in the transistion from the style of the first two albums and this one. The feeling is very mellow here, but still with intricate guitar work (reminiscent of old Further Seems Forever at times). They still know how to play metal/hardcore though, and belt out some screams every now and then. The lyrics have returned to spiritual subject matter. I think they pull off a very solid album. There is nothing spectacular about it, but the fact that the whole album holds together very well helps it up to number fourteen.

13. Sigur Ros - Taak
I have to admit that I had never listened to much Sigur Ros before this album, but my friend Mark made me listen to this album everytime I was in his car (of course he had pirated it before it was actually released). I was drawn in by the sweeping atmospherics and the other-worldly vocals. The track "Glosoli" did me in though, building up to a climactic outburst that sounds like a car crash between Godspeed You Black Emperor and Explosions in the Sky.

12. Starflyer 59 - Talking Voice vs. Singing Voice
I absolutely love Jason Martin. This is the perfect follow-up to Old, more dreamy indie rock similiar to My Bloody Valentine. The keyboard use on this album is perfect, and Martin's vocals are just as hushed as ever. He also continues to expand on his lyrics, making them just as much a part of the song as the mood-setting music.

11. Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth
I realized this year that I really do like NIN, and this album rocks hard. It's much more accessible than previous work, complete with hooks and melodies and everything. Those years of seclusion really paid off on this one.

10. M Ward - Transistor Radio
If I could play guitar like one man, it would be M Ward. His delicate guitar work and somber vocals make for a beautiful gothic guitar-driven folk album. If you can't appreciate Ward's albums, just go see him live and watch his fingers dance.

Comments:
I am with you on Nine Inch Nails. Leaving thatt off of my list was a mistake: The first time I heard "All The Love In The World", once it gets to that lous crescendo, I felt like I had been slapped in the face. I just realized, "I love this band."
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?